Sharirika Prakriti – “Sharirika” means about the body and “Prakriti” means the body’s type or nature.
Prakriti is viewed as one of the special features of Ayurveda. As you all know, there are three doshas in Ayurveda;
1. Vata Dosha
2. Pitta Dosha
3. Kapha Dosha
All the above three doshas have their characteristics. And your body type or the actions you perform will all fall under these dosha characteristics. Going with the same concept, you can find the presence of one or two doshas making up your entire body constitution. This is called Prakriti, the body type or nature of your body.
What are the types of Prakriti a body constitutes of;
- Vata Prakriti
- Pitta Prakriti
- Kapha Prakriti
- Vata Kapha Prakriti
- Vata Pitta Prakriti
- Pitta Kapha Prakriti
- Sama Prakriti – All three Prakriti are found in equal states.
All of us will be falling under any one of these Prakriti that defines our characteristic features.
Your Prakriti or the body type is even decided before birth, in your mother’s womb. Therefore, Prakriti remains the same till death. Your body and mind are interconnected. So by knowing your Prakriti, you can also find your character and the nature of your mindset along with your body type.
Why is Prakriti so important?
Prakriti or the body type is the balanced state of your body – a healthy state of oneself. According to Ayurveda, if the doshas are found in an imbalanced state, then you are prone to diseases.
With Prakriti, you can understand your own body and mind. It helps you know what type of food your body can accept. What type of lifestyle is suitable for your body, etc.? And it also helps you structure a balanced lifestyle ideal for this modern era to prevent disease. Most importantly, Prakriti gives a detailed description of one’s character, behavior, and mindset.
Is your mind going crazy to find what could be your Prakriti?
Then take this short quiz to find your Prakriti. Scroll down to know more about the characteristics of your Prakriti.
Characteristics of Vata Prakriti
- Body Structure – low weight, thin body, short height, dry and low-density hair. A crack sound occurs when joints are crossed.
- They have cold intolerant bodies.
- They do things in a quick and stumbling way.
- These Prakriti people talk a lot.
- They are hyperactive; their body constantly stays in motion.
- They show regular facial expressions.
- They have a throaty voice.
- They easily get anxious and emotional, but get back to their normal state immediately.
- They learn things quickly but forget them at the same speed. Short-memory people.
Characteristics of Pitta Prakriti
- Body Structure – High body temperature. They sweat a lot and can’t withstand heat.
- They have soft skin and hair. They also have a natural brownish color hair.
- These Prakriti people have a high chance of getting blackheads and moles.
- They also have a high chance of getting grey hair or bald head at a very young age.
- Naturally, pitta Prakriti has a great appetite. They tend to eat and drink as much as required. They are also food lovers.
- Pitta Prakriti faces difficulties in sleeping.
- They have a low-adjusting nature.
- Pitta prakriti people are sensitive too.
- These Prakriti people are sharp and confident. They also appear in the same way.
Characteristics of Kapha Prakriti
- Body Structure – They have a body with broad shoulders. Their skin appears soft and wet with smooth hair.
- They have a soft and thin voice.
- They have strong joints with large muscle mass.
- These Prakritis are slow workers. They even eat food slowly.
- They have firm commitments to finishing a task even if it goes beyond the deadline.
- They speak less.
- Naturally, they have low appetite, low body temperature, and hence sweat less.
- They are slow learners but have good memory power.
- Kapha Prakriti is always found with a sweet gesture.
The above are the characteristics of the three Prakritis. You don’t need to have all three prakritis. Find which characteristic feature suits you more, which is your dominant Prakriti.
Follow us for a suitable lifestyle for your Prakriti in our next blog.